Sunday, November 18, 2018

PyWeek 26: Storm Drain Odyssey


"Storm Drain Odyssey" was a team entry by Team Universe Factory (for which I was part of) for PyWeek 26 (October 2018), a twice yearly video game development competition that gets competitors to build a complete game from scratch in seven days using the python programming language. This year's theme was "Flow" and we created a 3D dungeon exploration/puzzle game where you control a pet goldfish navigating your way out of a sewer labyrinth.



I'd been itching to be part of a team entry (I've done the last three comps solo), so I was stoked when I was able to join Universe Factory (definitely one of the most competitive teams in PyWeek, with several existing titles :) ) ... the team was very welcoming to new-comers. I focussed on graphics, 3D modelling and graphical programming (with a bit of sound-design) and it was a good experience working in a team but not leading or being responsible for major game mechanics: Cosmologicon, our team lead, ran a very tight ship and was very organised, so everyone seemed to be on the same page. I learnt a ton of practical experience in version control and managing working on software in a team (which I don't do much), so that was cool too. I also learnt how to use scripting with OpenSCAD to quickly turn around 3D environment models (which I documented in a game page blog here), a technique that I think I would definitely try to use again.



The game ended up coming second in the team division, which we were fairly happy with. There's a source and Windows standalone version that can be downloaded from the game page here:

"Storm Drain Odyssey" on PyWeek.org


No comments:

Post a Comment